Wine Analysis Home
Atomic weight (AW)
- Atomic Weight is now an obsolete term for Relative Atomic Mass (r.a.m. - symbol Ar )
- The atomic weight of an element is an arbitrary weight/mass number, called a dalton, relative to other elements.
- It was determined that 12 grams of carbon contained 6.0 * 1023 atoms. Giving carbon an atomic weight of 12.
- The atomic weights of other elements are the weight of 6.0 * 1023 atoms of that element.
- Because many elements have isotopes (a variant with extra neutrons) the average mass of the natural isotope distribution is used.
- For a list of AWs see the table