Wine Analysis Home
Volume (m3, dm3, cm3, cc, L, and ml)
- Volume is a three dimensional space that can be occupied by a vacuum, gas, liquid or solid substances. (more).
- m3 is an abbreviation for meter cubed and is the space or volume defined by a cube with each of the three (3) sides a meter (m long (ie 1 m * 1 m *1m = 1 m3or 100 cm.* 100 cm * 100 cm = 1,000,000 cubic centimeter (cc or ml) = 1 m3)
- d, placed before other abbreviations is an abbreviation for deci-, which means one tenth (1/10).
Therefore dm3 is an abbreviation for decimeter cubed and is a volume occupied by a cube whose three (3) sides are a tenth (1/10) of meter (m) long (ie 10 cm *10 cm * 10 cm = 1,000 centimeter cubed (cc or ml)
Don't get confused into thinking that a dm3 is one tenth (1/10) of a cubic meter (m3) as it is one thousanth (1/1000) of a m3
- c, placed before other abbreviations is an abbreviation for centi-, meaning one hundredth.
However in this case 'c' is a abreviation for cubic or cubed.
Therefore cm3 or cc is an abbreviation for centimeter cubed or cubic centimeter respectively. That is, a volume of a cube whose three (3) sides are a centimeter long.
Therefore 1 cm3 is one millionth (1/1,000,000) of a cubic meter (m3) - because 1 m3 = 100 cm * 100 cm * 100 cm = 1,000,000 cm3 or cc
The other term used for cm3 or cc is an ml
- L is and abbreviation for litre and is a unit of volume used for liquids equivalent to a dm3 or 1000 cc.
- m, placed before other abbreviations is an abbreviation for milli- which means one thousands (1/1000).
Therefore 1000 millilitres (ml) = 1 litre (L)
And 1000 cubic centimeters(cc) = 1 litre (L)