Wine Analysis Home
Neutralisation of Distilled Water.
Distilled water can be used to dilute a sample to -
- to increase the working volume -
- to accommodate the stirrer bead
- to accommadate a pH electrode assembly
- to obtain a volume that can more easily be stirred manually (see diagram)
- to dilute red wine colour which can cause interference with a colour indicator used to detect the end point
- To collect a volatile acidity distilate.
Note:even distilled/deionise water can be slightly acidic due to the presence of carbon dioxide (CO2 ) existing as as carbonic acid in solution.
This is indicated by pink colouration in the presence of a pH indicator such as phenolpthtalien as indicated by the pink hue.
Hence distilled/de-ionised water will require neutralization.